Sorry, no pictures tonight. Just a lot of words that you may or may not read through. It’s cool, no worries.
It’s the last day of 2010. I can’t believe that the year is over, but I’m so excited for 2011 to begin. It’s gonna be awesome, I just know it.
I don’t really remember if I made any new years resolutions at this time last year. I know that I wanted to run a half marathon (check) and lose more weight (no check). This year I’m thinking more in terms of “goals” than “resolutions.” And I’m going to come up with a plan to achieve each of them. But let’s save that for another post, shall we?
First, let’s look back on the goals I made way back at the beginning of this month. I don’t think I did too well, but I had fun along the way.
– Create (and stick to) a workout routine. This is the time of year I tend to keep away from the gym. It’s cold so I can’t run outside as much and there are so many holiday-related things to do that suck up time. I need to keep up the progress and get my but moving!
Hmm. Half-check? I did pretty good with strength training and getting my butt in the gym the first three weeks of the month. Then Christmas vacation happened and I’m still trying to recover. This is one of my 2011 goals.
– Keep up my running mileage. As much as I hate running on the treadmill, I’m going to make nice in order to not lose too much fitness when there’s ice and snow outside. And when there isn’t, I’m going to try to get outdoors as much as possible.
Again, the first 3 weeks were pretty good. I got out for my first run in a week yesterday, and it was a tough 2.4 miles.
– Strength train more. I had a great rhythm going but a few weekends of traveling has thrown me off. I want to pump iron at least twice a week (if not more).
Check. I definitely pumped iron on a more consistent basis last month. I’m definitely starting to see and feel my progress.
– Continue to cut back on meat. I really don’t miss it when I make lunches – but I need to be better at preparing beans and stuff ahead of time so I can just grab and go. I have 3 bags of dried beans in my pantry I need to soak – maybe this weekend?
This is a toss-up. I did pretty good while I was in my own apartment, but when I went back home it was a little tough. I still have 1/2 a block of tofu I think I’ll cook tomorrow, following this recipe.
– Eat more fruits and vegetables. I kind of slacked on this a bit last month and I need to get back to buying lots of fresh stuff each week. I know the new Weight Watchers plan will help with that.
Yes. I definitely ate lots more fruit and veggies this month and my body is thanking me for it.
– Start to think more about intuitive eating – listening to my body’s hunger signals rather than eating because it’s meal time.
Honestly, I sort of forgot about this one. I am trying more to listen to my body’s hunger signals but sometimes I get distracted by sweets. Thank goodness all the holiday cookies are gone!
– Read more. I used to read lots of books, and I love to read, but I haven’t read as much since we moved here. I do have a library card but I have yet to use it! I have an ever growing list of books that I’d love to read and I need to start reading some of them. I’d like to read at least 2 books this month.
Fail. I don’t think I even finished one. This is definitely on the 2011 list.
– Clean out my closet – get rid of anything doesn’t fit or doesn’t get worn. I have a fair amount of closet space but new, well-fitting items are making less room for too-big and unworn things. I’d also like to organize my half of the closet to make it easier to put an outfit together.
I sort of did this one. I took out a few things the other day to put in the Salvation Army box, but now I need to actually go to the Salvation Army.
– Try 1 new recipe a week. Ok, this could probably go under food. But I want 3 in each category. Plus, it’ll help me get out of my rut of eating the same easy things all the time.
Fail. The week before Christmas and the few days since I’ve been back we haven’t really cooked. I think I’m going to take advantage of the few more days I have off to come up with a master list of recipes (w/pts+ values) that I’d like to try.
Honestly, I sort of forgot about most of my goals this month. Were they reasonable? Yes. Were they attainable? Maybe, maybe not. I think I got a little too caught up in the holidays (and all the junk food that comes with them) to think too much about healthy living.
But you know what? Today was a good day. I think tomorrow will be too. And that’s good enough for me.