This one’s just for you Kristen
So, a few weeks ago when I was home my mom was telling me about this dinner she had made. She layered tortilla shells, ground beef, southwestern blend corn, salsa and cheese together in an 11×3 Pyrex and the result was delicious.
I made it for Matt a few nights ago and he’s already called dibs on the leftovers for tonight. It was good. It’s also super simple.
- – 1 lb ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- – 4 –5 medium flour tortillas
- – about 2 cups of salsa (any kind you like)
- – 1 can Mexican/Southwestern blend corn
- – 3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese (I used 2%)
- – 1 taco seasoning packet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef. Add taco seasoning following directions on packet.
- Spread about 3/4 cup salsa on bottom of dish.
Then add 1 1/2 tortillas to cover the bottom (like lasagna noodles). You could totally use 2, but I didn’t need the extra carbs the overlap would create.
- Sprinkle ~ 1/2 the corn mixture over the tortillas.
- Then layer 1/2 the seasoned ground beef in the dish.
- Pour over 1/2 the remaining salsa and about 1/4 cup cheese.
Repeat once more (tortilla, corn, beef, salsa, cheese). Then, cover with one more layer of tortillas and the rest of the cheese. You can always skip this last layer if you’d like – just put a bit more cheese on top to get bubbly and golden brown.
Cover with foil and pop into the oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more so the cheese gets all pretty.
Let cool and serve. I made a small salad to finish this dinner off, but you could always roast some peppers and onions as well. That would be yummy.
You could easily substitute another ground meat (lean turkey or chicken) in place of the beef. And if you are vegetarian you can nix the meat and replace it with black beans (or any other bean) with delicious results.
This serves ~ 6 – 8 people.
If you make this into 8 servings, it is 8 Points Plus per serving, for 6 servings it would be 11 Pts+.