I’m watching the Chicago Marathon (live from nbcchicago.com) right now and I’m getting sooo inspired. I’ll be going out for my scheduled 6 miles later today with all these marathoners in my thoughts.
Ok, back on topic. Last Thursday (yeah, I’m a little late) I had my weekly Weight Watchers meeting and weigh in. My meetings have moved to a new location, from a church basement to the mall! I’m kind of excited, this means there’ll probably be more (younger) members. The meeting room is a little bland right now, but they’re taking suggestions so in a few weeks I’m sure the wonderful ladies who work there will make it welcoming and warm.
This weeks topic was portion control, something I (and many people) struggled with. I still do have trouble with portions sometimes, but I have learned to really think before serving myself “danger” foods.
In the Weight Watchers Weekly newsletter, and in the week 1 booklet, they show objects that one can reference for different serving sizes. Like a bagel = a cd, medium potato = light bulb, serving of meat = palm of your hand.
I think that these are great things to keep in mind when out at a restaurant or somewhere else outside your home. But I have gotten into the habit of using measuring cups/spoons when at home to get used to what proper servings look like. And you know what? 1 cup of pasta IS enough – especially when it’s bulked up with loads of veggies! Some of my favorite tips for keeping portions in check:
- use smaller plates/bowls
- get to-go boxes right away at restaurants
- order the lunch or children’s portion
- portion out snack foods into single-serving bags
- only cook the portion that you need, or package up leftovers right away
I had a great week. I tracked everyday with e-tools, which is hasn’t happened in a while. I feel so much more in control when I track honestly about my food intake and exercise.
This week I lost 1.2 lbs – even though I had a piece of pizza and breadstick for dinner the night before and hadn’t been drinking enough water! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – it feels so awesome to have the scale moving in the right direction.
What I’d like to accomplish this week:
- Drink more water. This is kind of tough to do when subbing – I never know when I’ll have time to run to the bathroom! So I know I need to drink more in the evening to make up for it.
- Get more sleep! This has felt like a really long week, accompanied by some late (for me) nights. I’d like to get between 7-8 hours each night.
- Eat more vegetables. I eat a lot of fruit, because it’s both easy to grab-and-go, and it’s delicious and sweet. I need to add more veggies back into my life.
So, 3 goals for the week. Plus my October goals. I can do it!